Monday, August 20, 2007

Vietnam - Mekong Delta

Mekong river runs through Vietnam, provides the country with rice & fish stock. It is the life line for many, however, sadly to say, the river is heavily polluted. Over the two days of my visit to Mekong delta, I have not see any section of the river that is slightly clean. Muddy, always muddy, sometimes coupled with a foul smell.

Life is very primitive on this futile land. People live in sheds, note, not houses. Their shelter is nothing more than a few wood spanks, plus a roof. These are considered to be the good ones. Some just used hay and mud for the walls.. That's it. The coconut candy factory, rice noodle factory are both housed in those sheds. I didn't see many disabled people or beggers in the streets. Thank God.

Anyway, just share some photos from the two-day trip. At the end, I will tell you my opinion about the Mekong delta trip :)

Griding the Coconuts

Making the Coconut Candy

Our young boatman
Bump Boat in Mekong River

Happy Fisherman

Something Exotic - Try at your own risk

My opinion:

If you have never been to South-east Asia, never seen any swamps before, then I suggest you go a for 1-day Mekong delta tour. It will be sufficient for you to get a taste of the frugal life.

If you are like me, who had been in South-east Asia for long enough time, then probably just forget about it. It is not worth the money and time. The tours are not expensive, US$14.00 per person for a 2-day tour, including one meal & one night stay, but it is the time that is more precious.

1 comment: