Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Ranking of Singapore's Healthcare System

In Singapore, we care about rankings very much, and almost everything has a ranking. You may be interested to know there is actually a ranking on healthcare system too, by World Health Organization (WHO).

According to that ranking, Singapore is ranked No. 6 worldwide, behind France, Italy, San Marino, Andorra and Malta, but way ahead of some of the developed nations such as Australia, New Zealand, USA, UK, Switzerland, Norway, Canada, Japan and Germany.

China is ranked 144th, out of a total of 190 countries. What a shame! Our neighbours Malaysia ranks No. 49, while Indonesia comes in No. 92.

Having gone through the healthcare system once myself, I think Singapore's healthcare is not too bad, although it is not perfect. It is much better than that in a lot of other countries, which is evident by the ranking itself. And also it became so evident that an insurance policy that covers most of your hospital/medical expenses is ultra important. In my case, if I don't have a company group medical insurance policy, then I would have to fork out a couple of thousand dollars to pay for my bills. With the policy, I only need to pay for the GST.

You can find the ranking at: http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

No comments:

Post a Comment