Tuesday, September 15, 2009

3 BIG Items

In China, there are certain items that are symbol of status, and usually 3 items will be typial of the times.

In the 1970s, the 3 items were watch, bike, & sewing machine;
in the 1980s, they were fridge, color TV set, & washing machine;
in the 1990s, they were VCR, air-conditioner, & computer;
in the 2000s, they are car, house & cash!

Well, looking at those items of status, I am quite a low status person :) I never owe a VCR, from its birth to death. VCRs were so popular during the 1990s that the video tape rental business was thriving. Then came the Laser Disc (LD), then VCD, then DVD, then now Blue Ray. The capacity is getting bigger and bigger, image & sound quality are better and better. And then you see VCRs, LD, VCD and even DVD are coming to the end of their useful life. The advancement of technology!

I only got my very 1st air-conditioner last year, after I got my own flat. Air-conditioner has always been low on my purchase list, as it is not 'green'. Its hunger for electricity, and the consequence cost of it turns me down. The only reason I decided to have it installed is to give myself a shelter during the months when Singapore is covered in heavy smog!

For the 2000s 3 items, I still need to work on them, work harder! Or I will get left behind further and further :P

No comments:

Post a Comment