Friday, June 20, 2008

The Most Common Reason for Rejection from iStock...for me

It is sometimes frustrating submitting photos to iStock. So far, my acceptable rate there is only slightly over 50%.

The most common reason for rejections? Here it is:

This file contains artifacting when viewed at full size. This technical issue is commonly created by the quality settings in-camera, in post-processing or in RAWsettings. Artifacting may be the result of other factors such as excessive level adjustments.

It has become some kind of mystery for me how they actually 'see' the artifacting, and they never tell which part of your photo has artifacts. It is like you know you have an enemy somewhere, but you don't know where they are. Frustrating.

Luckily iStock has the lowest resolution requirement. Whenever I have such a rejection, I would just downsize and resumbit. However, I still want to know how exactly they view 'artifact'.

I view my photos at 100% in Photoshop, everything looks fine. Submit the same photo to other agencies which have much higher resolution requirements and accepted but rejected by iStock for artifacts. How could that be?

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a calibrated monitor with good contrast? Sometimes one doesn't see the artifacting due to low monitor quality.

    ReplyDelete