Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Taiwan Hot Spring Town - Wulai

Wulai is another hot spring town near Taipei.  To get there, take MRT to Xindian Station, then go out of the station and then turn right to take bus 849.  The bus stop is hidden behind some big pillars, so you need to be alert.  The bus journey is about 40 minutes.


My first impression of Wulai is: It is like a TaoHuaYuan(桃花源), a fictitious place described by a Chinese scholar about a place where people are separated from the outside world, living a peaceful and happy life.  There is river with clear water winding between the mountains.  On the day of my visit, it was drizzling and a little bit windy.  Wow, it felt really good.


After you arrive at Wulai bus station, the Old Street is just minutes walk away.  Restaurants and hot spring hotels line up the old street.

Further up, 20 minutes walk away, it is the beautiful Wulai waterfall.


The waterfall is not very big, but it is just like a shy girl, I like it.  Standing in front of the waterfall, breathing in the fresh air, you feel the world is so beautiful.

There are two things you must do in Wulai.  Number 1 of course is to enjoy a hot spring bath.  Four of us paid NT$1200 for one hour's use of a private bath.  If you don't want to pay but still want to enjoy the hot spring, you can just go to have a dip in the wild hot springs.  It is common to see a hot spring along the river.  It is also common to see people having a free hot spring bath there.

Number 2 is to try the hot spring eggs.  I didn't expect much of the hot spring eggs, just an egg cooked with hot spring, how special can it be?  But then after I tried it, I changed my view completely.  It is so smooth, so tender, and the egg is cold, not hot!  I miss the taste of it so much after I got back to Singapore.

There are many restaurants along the Old Street.  Their prices are quite reasonable and you can order some speciality as well.

I was there on a weekday, there were hardly any tourists, so I could enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of the place more.  I love it there!

No comments:

Post a Comment