Saturday, June 7, 2014

Edge of Tomorrow



Edge of Tomorrow is a science fiction movie based on a Japanese novel All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.

Before going for the movie, I had read up about it so my expectation was not too high, thinking it might most probably have some resemblance to similar movies such as Looper.  And that was proven for the first half an hour?  After that, things are more unexpected.

Sustaining the whole movie and have all the details organically linked up, Tom Cruise's acting skills are essential.  He is the soul and flesh of the movie, without him, I think the movie might be a lot lackluster.  For the very first time, I admire Tom Cruise's acting skills, they are worth my praise.

The movie has an interesting start, exciting middle, but a cliche ending.  The ending is so expected, and so plain that it takes all the excitement out.

As a side talk, I notice aliens in our sci-fi movies always tend to have this octopus look, with lots of arms.  I wonder why do we human always imagine aliens to be that form?  Is it because some of us indeed have seen them before?  Interesting...

My Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment