Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wrath of Nature

Yesterday evening, an earthquake measured 8.2 on the Richter scale rocked the west coast of Sumatra in our friendly neighbour Indonesia. The shock waves from the earthquake and its many aftershocks could be strongly felt in Singapore.

When the earthquake happened yesterday, I was in Mr Huang's car, so I didn't feel anything. This morning, around 10am, all of sudden, my colleagues all stopped work and wandered around, asking "Can you feel it? Can you feel it?" The electrical wires in the lab started to swing on their own. The tremor was not strong, but it lasted for a minute or two. For that minute or two, the concrete building was like a paper box, which was shaking in the wind. OMG, mother nature has again expressed her wrath on the ungrateful residents living in her territory.

I don't know what is the physics behind it, but every time I feel the tremor from an earthquake, I will have a very bad headache, so bad that it hinders my brain's proper function; at the same time, I also feel my stomach stirring, there is an urge to vomit.

In the past, I always wondered why didn't people just run away when an earthquake strikes, now I realise that when it strikes, it will paralyse the people, just like in the sword-fighting stories, the gangsters will use some kind of incense to paralyse their preys before they take action.

Last but not least, let's all pray hard that all our friends & family will always be healthy & safe. 出入平安

No comments:

Post a Comment