Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Most Liveable Cities

The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survery revealed that Vancouver is the most liveable city in the world, followed by Vienna & Melbourne.

For Asian cities, Singapore ranks 54th, Hong Kong ranks 39th.

I have serious doubts about the accuracy of this survery.

How can it be possible that Hong Kong ranks higher than Singapore? It is not that I am biased because I live in Singapore, but the undeniable fact that most Hong Kongers live in match-box like flats. I had been to my aunt's flat, and also one of my friends' flat. They are both ordinary Hong Kong residents, making a decent or ordinary living in Hong Kong. The size of their flat? About 40-50 squared meters. The washing machine has to share with the toilet. Everything is so small.

Beside small flats, the environment is not that good either. Air quality in Hong Kong is forever in the unhealthy range. Sky is hardly blue.

For the five categories that the survey looks at, stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education, & infrastructure, I don't think Singapore lags behind Hong Kong in any of them, other than culture.

Ok, it is just a survey. It is good to know that we are lagging behind, time for our government to put in some more efforts to make this tiny country more liveable. :)

PS. Oh, I just saw that Sydney ranks in No. 9, tied with Zurich. My foot, man. I strongly disagree. I spent a year in Sydney, I only feel everything is over-priced there, city streets are narrow and dark. Life is boring. Personal safety is in doubt. This survey is really unbelieveable.

No comments:

Post a Comment