Sunday, May 9, 2010

Spring 2010 Milan Trip - Part 2: An Interesting Encounter at Milan Central Station

We took the Milan Metro from Central Station to Duomo for lunch.  At Central Station, we were quite at a loss as how to buy Metro tickets. 

I stared at the ticket machine, totally confused, mind blank.  Then a finger creeped into my view and pointed to the right option on the ticket machine.  Following that finger, I looked up and saw a handsome Italian guy.  What happened next was even more shocking to me:  He spoke in fluent Mandarin Chinese to me! 

I opened my mouth wide, speechless.  Call me a mountain turtle who has not seen the world, but it is the first time a Caucasian talking to me in Chinese.  It was a pity that I was with a big group of colleagues and in the confusion of getting our tickets, in the whole mess, I didn't even have a chance to say "thank you" to that nice guy.  I hope he will see this blog and I want to say a big "THANK YOU!" to you. 

The world, somehow, has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment