Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Climb Asia - My First Rock Climbing Experience


Bought the Beginner's Climbing Course voucher from Groupon.sg at the price of S$38 some months ago.  This deal must be very popular, as I had to wait for almost 3 months before I got my chance to get into a class.  And the class started on last Sunday.

Climb Asia is located at the Civil Service Club near Farrar Park MRT station, it is just a 5-min walk from the station, so it is really convenient.


When I arrived, some people were already busy climbing on the walls.  I heard that they were in the instructor's course.  Oh my, they are the gurus.

Anyway, our instructor was Michelle, a very cheerful young lady.  We were supposed to have a total of 11 students in the class, but only 6 turned up.  Out of the 6, 5 were ladies, I had the honour to be the one and only guy in the class.  And we had really young ladies in the class, I mean so young that they needed their parent's consent for taking up this class.  Young they were, they were not to be sneezed at.  4 of them already got the level 1 certification.  I was the only blur sotong :P

We started first with bouldering.  We learnt to climb a low wall, without the need for any ropes.  Down on the floor, there was a thick layer of cushion to soften your fall.  Michelle taught us some basic techniques, pointed out some common mistakes the beginners made.  It was really fun.

Then we went out to challenge the 'wall'.  You can see how high it is in the picture above.  I gave two tries.  Nice, but as I am still a beginner, not really mastering the basic technique, so I ended up very exhausted.  My hands were trembling a bit, a sign that I was not doing the right thing.

Well, it was really a very fun and pleasant experience.  As anything in life, there is always a way to do it right, and speeds up your progress.  There is always something for you to learn.  Nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment